Fowlis Parish was established in the 12th Century and St Marnock’s Church is one of the oldest buildings in the area.
It was rebuilt in 1453 AD and sits centrally in the village of Fowlis, just outside the city of Dundee. It is particularly remarkable for containing rare surviving pre-reformation 15th and 16th Century wall paintings, rood screen doors and other features. The building is principally of sandstone construction with a timber trussed roof covered in slate. There are a number of details of special interest, most noticeably the west gable window and the ogival hood moulding at the main entrance on the south elevation. The condition of both had deteriorated and interim repairs to these and other leaded windows in the past had not been particularly successful until our conservation works were carried out.
Photography : Stephen Pounder